NORTON META TAG

02 September 2010

WHY ARE YOU BOYCOTTING TARGET? (YOU'RE NOT? YOU SHOULD BE!) from MOVEON.ORG 2SEP10

I have not been to Target since I found out about their donation to the right-wing extremist organization as a protest against corporate interference in our elections. I work too hard for my money to give it to companies who do not reflect my values. I know it is not possible to not spend money with some of the evil corporations in this county, but I do my best to avoid them, and the purchases I make from alternate sources bring a certain amount of satisfaction because usually they are from companies that are trying to do better by their employees, the economy and the environment. And I have learned to do well with less, which is better for me and for the planet as a whole.
CLICK THE LINK TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOYCOTT TARGET ACTION FROM MOVEON.ORG and if interested search this blog for other post on this issue and to see the WAY COOL video of the musical protest in a Target store....
 

"While I miss Target, I'd rather have less stuff and more democracy."
That's what one mom in Pennsylvania said about her choice to boycott Target during this back-to-school shopping season, after Target spent $150,000 to try to buy the Minnesota governor's election. (Her full note is below.)
You can join her by participating in the new Target Boycott Share-o-Thon. It's easy: just send a short note to your friends and family explaining why you're boycotting Target for back-to-school shopping. Then we'll count up how many people we've all reached together and be able to show Target that we're not backing down. Can you help reach our goal of emailing 250,000 people all together? 
http://pol.moveon.org/corporatepower/target-taf.html
Here's her full note:
I'm married, a mom, I live in an urban area and shop at stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I don't shop at Walmart or K-mart because the styles are crap. I've probably spent at least $2500/year for the past 10 years at Target. The more I think about it, that number is probably conservative.
I'm intensely against any kind of discrimination and intensely against corporations buying politicians. I love Target's design aesthetic, but I love democracy and equality more. And while I miss Target, I'd rather have less stuff and more democracy. I won't go back until they promise not to make any more corporate contributions of this nature.
Maria P., PA
The more we can show retailers like Target that concerned families are spreading the word about the boycott, the more pressure they'll feel to stop using their corporate profits to buy off public elections.
In addition to counting how many people we all email, you can submit your letter for other members to see. Think of all the parents, students, teachers, and others you know who might not have heard about Target's decision to take advantage the Citizens United decision by giving $150,000 to a front group backing a far-right, anti-gay, anti-immigrant candidate for governor in Minnesota.
Join the Share-o-Thon here:
http://pol.moveon.org/corporatepower/target-taf.html
Thanks for all you do.
–Ilyse, Robin, Jeff, Duncan, and the rest of the team
  
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment