NORTON META TAG

25 March 2016

FORMERLY FUNDIE; 5 Serious Questions I Have For Christians Who Support Donald Trump 24MAR16


5 Serious Questions I Have For Christians Who Support Donald Trump


THERE is nothing Christian about donald drumpf's presidential campaign, nothing Christian about supporting and voting for him. From Formerly Fundie Benjamin L Corey.....

5 Serious Questions I Have For Christians Who Support Donald Trump

5440995682_c53756ae95_b
Image via Gage Skidmore, Flickr
I used to consider myself a person of at least average intelligence, but I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the idea of Christians supporting Donald Trump, and I just can’t do it.
I tried, but I have failed miserably.
Instead, I’ve just found myself left with questions. So, here are 5 questions I have for Christians who support Donald Trump:
5. How are you able to support someone who is famous for unwholesome talk and constantly putting people down?
You know that Bible we read? (It’s thick and usually has a fake leather cover. Check the shelf.)
Well, that Bible has a few things to say about how we use our tongues and about the kind of garbage we should resist allowing to flow from our little speaking machines.
I mean, I know it’s a big book, but surely you’ve gotten to the part where Paul says that no unwholesome words should come out of our mouths, but only those words which edify and build people up, no?
I’ll tell you this: When you compare what the Bible teaches about how we should use our words, to how Trump uses his, you’re going to find two opposite examples. It’s one thing to disagree with people, and even forcefully challenge their ideas, but that can be done without stooping to the levels Trump stoops to.
Or, let me ask it this way: How would you react if your kids came home from school talking like Donald Trump? How would you feel if they talked to you the way Trump talks to others?
Would you seriously be okay with that? C’mon now! Be honest with yourself.
4. How are you able to support someone who speaks so poorly to women?
Trump’s mouth is bad enough, but what’s worse is how he uses it toward women. Between inappropriate sexual innuendos, salivating over how hot he thinks his own daughter is, and how he brags about being sexually promiscuous– as if women are a hill to conquer– I can’t even begin to fathom how a Christian can reconcile supporting this.
How would you feel if someone spoke to your own daughter(s) the way Trump speaks to women? What if someone told your daughter that the only reason she got her job was because she was pretty, or if her boss told her she must look good “down on her knees?” I mean, I can’t even believe I actually have to ask you this.
Are you *really* okay with this? You guys would have kicked me out of Bible school for less than this, and now y’all are endorsing him. It just doesn’t make sense.
3. How do you deal with the conflicting imagery of Jesus dying for his enemies, with Donald Trump’s constant calls to torture them– and even kill their families?
The two messages can’t be further apart: Jesus says, “love your enemies, and do good to them.” Jesus teaches us to reject an “eye for an eye” systems of justice, but to instead be people who love to show mercy, even when it is totally undeserved and comes at a cost to ourselves.
But Trump? In referring to protestors Trump says, “Knock the crap out of them.” And worse, in regards to real enemies, he continually advocates for illegal torture and even killing innocent family members in retaliation. This stuff is beyond immoral– it’s actually totally illegal. It’s a war crime.
How do you contend with the fact that in order to follow Donald Trump, you first must stop following Jesus? If you want to support torturing people that’s you’re right– but you can’t do that and still pretend to be a Christian.
Remember that hellfire preacher from your childhood who would shout, “Choose this day whom you will serve!”? Well, maybe now is an appropriate time to do that.
2. What changed between Bill Clinton and now? Don’t you think you owe him an apology?
Seriously, what changed? Because you know, I remember those days and we were calling for Clinton to be impeached and thrown out of office. Remember why?
Because “character counts” that’s why.
If a few years ago we claimed that poor personal character disqualified one from holding the office of presidency, and even went through the efforts to impeach a sitting president because his personal character, how the (oops, almost had some unwholesome language myself. Good catch, Ben) are you supporting Trump?
Did you legitimately change your mind, or are you just being hypocritical since the guy with poor moral character happens to be your guy this time? Because as far as I can tell, changing your mind about the value of character, and being a total hypocrite, are the only two options available to you.
1. Are you feeling okay?
For real– are you ok? Because I’m not sure you’re thinking clearly.
It’s one thing for Christians to have a disagreement on political policy, but I can find no plausible path towards supporting Donald Trump without betraying the Christian faith.
While I want to be charitable with my assumptions, in this case that means I’m just going to have to assume that something must be wrong, and that you’re just not thinking clearly. Because all the other options? Well, those options would far less charitable.
I’ve tried to reconcile this idea of being a Christian and supporting Trump, but to me, it just doesn’t seem possible– not unless one just completely redefines the word Christian. So help me out: if you claim to be a Christian and a Trump supporter, how do you reconcile those two things? I’d be impressed if it could be done.
** this post originally included some good-natured sarcasm that I have since removed so as to not be a stumbling block to some readers. However, call me crazy, but I think we as Christians really need to lighten up.
Follow the guy who’d rather eat a chunk of old tuna out of the mayo jar than vote for Trump:

Some Serious Questions I Have For All Those "Good Guys With Guns"

GOP: "Ouch! Obama Keeps Bonking Us Over The Head With The Bible!"

Mike Huckabee Endorses Selling Poor People As Slaves (not even making this up)

Disrupted Rhythm: The Spiritual Danger of the American Political 

No comments:

Post a Comment