NORTON META TAG

14 August 2014

GOD'S POLITICS BLOG 14AUG14

Sojo Logo
sojo-mail-2.jpg
GUEST COMMENTARY: When Terror Wears a Badge
by Ryan Herring


Get a FREE trial issue of Sojourners

Donate Today!

Over the past three weeks there have been four separate incidents that have led to the deaths of four unarmed black men at the hands of police. For many black people, myself included, the moments following these tragic events are filled with despair, sorrow, anger, and frustration. Each incident serves as a reminder that as a black man in America, my life holds little to no value in the eyes of the general public. To be young and black in the United States means to live under constant pressure, something most non-black American citizens know nothing about.
For the majority of black people, the police do not represent protection or safety, rather they are a menacing force that terrorize those they are supposed to serve. I have never felt safe in the presence of law enforcement. In fact, whenever police are in close proximity to me, I feel in danger. Whenever a cop drives behind me or beside me I feel anxious, not protected.
Is my paranoia justified?
I have no criminal record, however I have had numerous run-ins with the police, none of which my actions provoked. The most common of course is being followed around a store. I have never committed a traffic violation, but I have been pulled over several times. A few of those times I was asked to step out of my vehicle to be frisked and forced to sit on the curb in humiliation while being verbally intimidated and having my car searched. The reasons I was given as to why this type of action was necessary...
READ THE FULL ARTICLE HERE.
Ryan Herring is Marketing and Circulation Assistant for Sojourners. You can find more of his writing at The Ghetto Monk.





ON THE GOD'S POLITICS BLOG
View the latest articles from the God's Politics blog »

Is There a Nonviolent Response to ISIS?
by Derek Flood
Alarm and outrage have been growing over the mounting humanitarian crisis in Iraq at the hands of the Islamic State. Christians in the region are being forced to convert, pay tribute, or die as the al Qaeda breakaway group sweeps into predominantly Christian villages and hamlets in Iraq, sending tens of thousands fleeing for their lives. The news is devastating and overwhelming. Suicide and Pain: What Are We Missing?
by Carmille Akande
Yesterday morning I was prepared to write about being a sacred place where others could come for healing, encouragement, and restoration. I had no idea Robin Williams committed suicide yesterday. I didn't hear the news because all evening I was sitting with a friend who is going through one of the most difficult times in her life. Relationships are hard. Discipleship is messy. Love takes sacrifice. But I believe it is what Jesus has called for us to do!
Jesus Wasn't American—Neither Is The Bible
by Stephen Mattson
Sometimes it seems that American Christians all read the exact same Bible—a truly “American Standard Version,” where every verse, account, story, and parable within scripture is interpreted through the lens of being an American. God originally authored this scripture with the intention of blessing America, protecting America, supporting her interests—and generally ignoring the rest of the world. The collateral damage of this type of thinking comes in the form of dehumanizing others.
How I Kissed Evangelizing Goodbye
by Cindy Brandt
I went to the mecca of evangelicalism for college — a beautiful campus in the suburbs of Chicago, where I received a scholarship from none other than the Pope of evangelicalism, Billy Graham, for my work in street evangelism. As in, speaking to random strangers on the street in order to convert them to Christianity.
NEW! In the SojoStore


Racism has been called America's "original sin." Struggles around affirmative action, welfare and immigration reform, and other policies show that the racial divide in the United States wasn't healed in the civil rights era.
This study guide is designed to spark discussion and thought about how to live out God's call for justice in our world. It's perfect for small groups or individual study! Each of the 4 sessions includes Sojourners' articles, questions for discussion, and ideas for further study.
Purchase HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment