A mysterious beginning, distant bells, and finally the full power of one of Germany’s largest pipe organs!
In this video, I improvise on The Moldau by Bedřich Smetana at the great organ of the magnificent Papal Basilica of St. Mary in Kevelaer, Germany.
The improvisation begins very quietly and mysteriously, with delicate sounds and bells echoing through the basilica. Gradually, the famous melody of The Moldau emerges and continues to grow, inspired by Gert van Hoef's amazing improvisation on this theme — until the full organ finally fills the entire church with its sound.
I recorded this performance at the lower console of the great Seifert organ in the Marienbasilika Kevelaer. With its enormous variety of colors, powerful reeds, bells, and impressive full organ, it was the perfect instrument for this musical journey from darkness and mystery to a grand and powerful ending.
I hope you enjoy this improvisation and the spectacular sound of the organ!
Recorded at the Marienbasilika Kevelaer / Papal Basilica of St. Mary in Kevelaer, Germany.
No comments:
Post a Comment