NORTON META TAG

12 May 2020

Former PA Gov. Tom Ridge: Armed Protesters "Not Heroic, Not Courageous" & Tom Ridge: Selfish protests against stay-at-home orders dishonor America's veterans 8 MAI & 29 APR 20

SOCIAL DISTANCING: SIX FEET APART IS BETTER THAN SIX FEET UNDER!



CORONAVIRUS DASHBOARD

TOM RIDGE expresses his disgust with the coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic end the shutdown protesters, these covidoids, in very blunt, honest language in this interview with Michel Martin on Amanpour & Co. I especially love his comments about the gun toting open the economy protesters..." The prisoners were, writ large, who -- when you think about their containment for months or years at a time, now, the protesters could go home. They got the refrigerator, they got the TV, they got the Internet, they got some things they can do. They can walk outside, put a mask on.And, somehow, their life has been momentarily disrupted. And don't get me wrong. There are a lot of people out there under tremendous economic stress. I don't think that's what got these folks there. That whole notion that we're going to -- this false bravado in -- confronting a time when self-sacrifice is so important. And I thought about 
the men and women who wear uniforms in harm's way. I'm proud to have worn the uniform of this country, when we understood that we're all in it together, whether it was my little team, my squad in Vietnam, or anybody else been affiliated with any branch of the military. When you're kind of in this -- faced with a -- confronted with a challenge, you put aside differences, collectively come together. You look out for each other, because your goal is to get everybody through the crisis. And so that whole notion of self-sacrifice and contribution is very much a part of the DNA of all veterans, whether they served in war or peace. That's what they do. And that's why I take that conduct, walking around, kind of a macho-like kind of weapon, that's just -- that's not courageous. It's not heroic. And, frankly, I find it offensive. And I think most veterans probably did as well.

MARTIN: What do you think is up with the weapons?

RIDGE: I don't know. You would probably need to get -- talk to a psychologist to understand why they felt, under these circumstances, they should walk around with a weapon of war at their side in a democracy, and confronting policy-makers. And there were earlier confrontations with nurses and doctors. And I'm thinking, these are the men and women in this country trying to save lives. And, somehow, whatever brings you to confront them, you are getting in the way. They are the first line of defense. They're the tip of the spear. And I -- when I looked at them and I said, now, wait a minute. Why don't you put those down, put a mask on, put the garb on, and then go into a hospital full of coronavirus patients, and let me see how tough you are under those circumstances. " He makes it very clear he has no time for these weapon toting wannabes in the video below and in his Op-Ed piece in USA Today.....
Tom Ridge is an American veteran and former governor who has strong words for the armed protestors opposing lockdown measures across the country. Ridge served in Vietnam and went on to become America’s first Secretary of Homeland Security in the aftermath of 9/11. He speaks with Michel Martin about the need for self-sacrifice and unity in times of crisis. Originally aired on May 8, 2020.

TRANSCRIPTS
And we turn now to an American war veteran and former Republican governor who is strong -- who has strong words for armed protesters in some of those states who are opposing lockdown measures across the United States.
Tom Ridge served in Vietnam. And he went on to become America's first secretary of homeland security when the department was formed right after 9/11. And he's been speaking to our Michel Martin about the need for self- sacrifice and unity in times of crisis.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

MICHEL MARTIN, CNN INTERNATIONAL CORRESPONDENT: Governor Ridge, thank you so much for joining us today.

TOM RIDGE, FORMER U.S. HOMELAND SECURITY CHIEF: My pleasure to join you. Thank you.

MARTIN: You have got a lot of attention for your -- an op-ed that you have published in "USA Today," very strong words. You write: "The self-absorbed and selfish Americans complain they're irritated, anxious, bored, upset, unhappy that their lives have been affected by this temporary restraint on their freedoms."
You're speaking here, of course, about some of the demonstrations that have popped up in state capitals, including your own, where sometimes heavily armed protesters have screamed at and confronted law enforcement officers trying to sort of maintain control, many not wearing masks. It sounds to me like this kind of was the last straw for you.

RIDGE: It was.

MARTIN: So, what is it that made you want to publish this piece?

RIDGE: Well, I actually began -- I decided just to put some thoughts down on paper, so that I could get a little personal therapy session, because it was aggravating the daylights out of me. And I thought, well, maybe I could express the voice of a lot of other Americans. And it was like false bravado. This is a time where self-sacrifice is more important than any time we have had in recent American history.
The last time we had major self-sacrifice may have been World War II. We're in a different kind of war right now. It has national implications. And for a bunch of people who I realize you're entitled under the First Amendment to protest, under the Second Amendment to carry arms. But we don't -- if you put them together and walk in and try to intimidate nurses, doctors and policy-makers, we don't do that in this country. We don't make policy at the point of a gun.
So I tried to give voice, not only to my feelings, but also, I think, to express the gratitude and the appreciation that we all have for the men and women who try to keep the economy percolating along a little bit, and particularly for the health care workers that are trying to save us from the scourge.

MARTIN: You're speaking here as a veteran, very much so as a veteran, citing your Army service and also thinking about other veterans who have made the ultimate sacrifice. And you talked about the -- your sort of distaste and your just taking offense at people confronting people who you say wear a different kind of uniform, nurses and doctors. In some cases, there have been confrontations with health care workers who've said it isn't time to reopen the economy, because the pandemic is still kind of running amuck.

RIDGE: Well, I think, first of all, one of the thoughts I had when I wrote that is my friend John McCain, and then his friend Everett Alvarez was actually in the Hanoi Hilton longer than he was. 
The prisoners were, writ large, who -- when you think about their containment for months or years at a time, now, the protesters could go home. They got the refrigerator, they got the TV, they got the Internet, they got some things they can do. They can walk outside, put a mask on. And, somehow, their life has been momentarily disrupted. And don't get me wrong. There are a lot of people out there under tremendous economic stress. I don't think that's what got these folks there. That whole notion that we're going to -- this false bravado in -- confronting a time when self-sacrifice is so important. And I thought about the men and women who wear uniforms in harm's way. I'm proud to have worn the uniform of this country, when we understood that we're all in it together, whether it was my little team, my squad in Vietnam, or anybody else been affiliated with any branch of the military. When you're kind of in this -- faced with a -- confronted with a challenge, you put aside differences, collectively come together. You look out for each other, because your goal is to get everybody through the crisis. And so that whole notion of self-sacrifice and contribution is very much a part of the DNA of all veterans, whether they served in war or peace. That's what they do. And that's why I take that conduct, walking around, kind of a macho-like kind of weapon, that's just -- that's not courageous. It's not heroic. And, frankly, I find it offensive. And I think most veterans probably did as well.

MARTIN: What do you think is up with the weapons?

RIDGE: I don't know. You would probably need to get -- talk to a psychologist to understand why they felt, under these circumstances, they should walk around with a weapon of war at their side in a democracy, and confronting policy-makers. And there were earlier confrontations with nurses and doctors. And I'm thinking, these are the men and women in this country trying to save lives. And, somehow, whatever brings you to confront them, you are getting in the way. They are the first line of defense. They're the tip of the spear. And I -- when I looked at them and I said, now, wait a minute. Why don't you put those down, put a mask on, put the garb on, and then go into a hospital full of coronavirus patients, and let me see how tough you are under those circumstances.

MARTIN: Your piece is very much directed toward the protesters. But I can see one name that's missing here is Donald Trump's. I mean, do you -- I mean, the president is in some ways encouraging this. And I found it interesting that you didn't speak about it in any real way. Why is that?

RIDGE: Well, everybody knows my personal feelings. As I take a look at his brand of leadership, it's not consistent with mine. I have found the notion that somehow he called on Americans to liberate the economy or liberate something that's a -- again, it is like a fall -- I don't quite understand the psychology around that. My point of view at this time was to ignore the president and his style of leadership and what he says. Just focus on those protesters and whether or  not they'd have to answer the question whether or not they responded to his, what some people thought was encouragement. I don't think this group needed encouragement. But when the president said, there's some good people, there's nice people there, it reminded me of Charlottesville. And I don't know anybody that is a racist or bigot who walks around trying to intimidate other people, I don't quite know the definition of what is nice or good people. So, the president and I probably differ on how you characterize people's actions. That's for sure.

MARTIN: Do you think these people are scared, in a way, they're frightened, and maybe this is the way they express their fear?

RIDGE: Well, I would want to give them the benefit of the doubt, because the anxiety around -- generated through the uncertainty, the uncertainty of  what tomorrow will bring, the uncertainty of whether my job will be there. I didn't get a sense that they were there because of the economic uncertainty. I got a sense there they were trying to assert themselves in some fashion that I just can't rationalize, can't think how anybody can conclude that that assertion, in a very physical, offensive, aggressive way, was going to help that community, that state, or this country solve the problem and win the battle against COVID-19. 
I mean, the president said he wants to be viewed as a wartime president. Well, the enemy is Mother Nature and it's COVID-19. And we need not to remind ourselves there were three or four presidents since the beginning of the '60s that had to confront the horrors of Vietnam. And, already, in this war, we have lost more -- there are more fatalities than there were through our engagement in Vietnam. This is a self-sacrificing time. We're seeing most Americans adjust. 
Don't get me wrong, a lot of anxiety. People want to go back to work. People at the margins, nobody's paying attention to these folks. Can you imagine -- and I can just see it and close my eyes and walk through some communities in Pennsylvania, where I know they're not depressed communities, but their families are hardscrabble. They're working hard. They may have a job or two, minimum wage, slightly above, a couple of kids. They're cramped in a space. Now, all of a sudden, their the income is gone. What's tomorrow bring for them? They have anxieties. They're real, they're social, they're personal, they're economic. We feel for them. I don't think any of those people were involved in the protests.

MARTIN: You know, I understand that you say that, you know, your views of President Trump are known and that you're not sure that these protesters were necessarily taking their cues from him. 
I mean, there were a lot Trump hats at this rally and his signature paraphernalia at this rally. You are one of the lions of the Republican Party. You are not just a -- you know, you are a former governor. You are the first head of the Department of Homeland Security. Where's the rest of your posse? Where's the rest of your crew? Where are the rest of the people who have served as you have served and why are we not hearing their voices in the same way?

RIDGE: I would defer to my colleagues to have to explain it for themselves. I choose not to -- I choose to speak for myself. I have to admit to be somewhat disappointed, but I'm not going to second-guess anybody's motives. I will just publicly express my disappointment.
I think -- look, I think, you know, there will be a time and place down the road, still going to be a couple months, where we can get into the political infighting. And, frankly, right now, it's going on both sides. But the individual that has the bully pulpit, the loudest megaphone, the one that gets all the attention, happens to be the president. So -- but he's got the megaphone. And what disappoints me is that some of these daily press conferences include some kind of political component. And I just say to my president, he's my president. That is not the time for political acrimony. Now is the time to advance collective self-interest, collective cooperation. Federal, state, Republican, Democrat, black, white, Asian, we're in this together. And everybody is red, white and blue. So let's put the partisan politics aside. Don't use those opportunities, do anything -- again, it's a contrast in styles.

MARTIN: If you were still serving as the governor right now, what are some of the things that you would do? I mean, the fact is, as you have noted, many people are really suffering right now. I mean, the lines -- you see the lines for food banks are miles-long. What would you do right now?

RIDGE: Well, I think the first thing you want to look at are those that are most vulnerable, not only from disease, but from the deprivations caused by a lot of -- the fact a lot of people aren't working.
Kids aren't going to school. A lot of people aren't working. So, you have got to make sure that basic human needs are met. And I then think you have to bring in your scientists and your doctors. You will have to do this based on information you have about one of our counties or regions in Pennsylvania.
And I think I would -- again, based on that information, you begin to deal with some of the anxiety and the unrest socially and financially by laying out an incremental plan, assuring Pennsylvanians, one, you understand and appreciate the stresses that they're under, and there are ways -- there's a
way ahead.
And so I think, if I were governor, actually, from time to time, as I look at the 50 governors, I think, by and large, they are doing a great job, in spite of the fact they're getting a little mixed signals from D.C. from time to time. I think you just have to be reassuring, be confident, lay out a pathway ahead, but do understand, every time you have an opportunity to talk to your citizens, you understand the strain that they're under. And these are the things you're trying to do to finally eliminate some of that anxiety and get them back to work.

MARTIN: Are you at all concerned about the effect of this pandemic on election security? Primaries are going on. A number of states have had to -- or have made the decision to delay. Are you concerned about that at all?

RIDGE: No, actually, I have got a -- probably a -- not a contrarian point of view, but a very -- a different perspective. I have often been very disappointed when I see voter turnout, local elections, primaries, 20 percent, 30 percent. I happen to think that voting isn't a privilege. I think it's the responsibility of citizenship. That's my point of view. Now, they don't need to postpone the elections. But I'd like to think that now is the time for people to understand, if you can't get to the polls, it's very easy to select among leadership choices by simply requesting an absentee ballot. And if nothing else, I'd like to think that, as you look to the November election primarily, that people who are still reluctant to go to the polls, that all 50 governors in all these states, in the local election boroughs, will encourage people, register, register, register and vote absentee. It's a while overdue. And I'd love to see 80 or 90 percent participation. And what an irony would be, because of the COVID pandemic, that people finally understood, I can vote absentee, and I need to vote absentee. And I hope it happens that way.

MARTIN: Before we let you go, I'm going to ask you to put your Department of Homeland Security hat back on, if indeed you have ever taken it off. What should be happening now? What are some things that you think should be taking place now to try to address this ongoing pandemic and, frankly,
prepare for the next one? Because all of our intelligence experts are saying that this is not the last.

RIDGE: Well, I think it's a wonderful question, because, while we have always focused for the past decade or two on the globalization of transportation, and globalization of finance, and globalization and communication, this tragically becomes exhibit A for the globalization of disease. And -- but what we need to understand now is that this certainly won't be the first time, and this may not be the worst epidemic that we're confronted with. So, about six years ago, I started working with my good friend Senator Joe Lieberman. I participate in the Panel on Biodefense. And we saw back there 
gaps and vulnerabilities just given the way the federal government is structured. We could anticipate that it would not be able to confront a pandemic like this.
So we made a series of recommendations. Now, some were right, some were wrong, it's even true -- what we said then. But as we work our way through this, we've got to go back to that and say to ourselves, OK, what do we need to do together, Republicans and Democrats, in a way to make sure that we reduce the risk? Because you're never going to eliminate this virus, and you're never going to eliminate these pandemics. But how do we reduce the risk of the impact, 
the social, economic, and more tragically, the personal impact is substantially reduced, now that we know that disease is global, like everything else?
There's a way ahead, once we get through this, but, for the time being, it's self-sacrifice. It's what men and women in uniform in this country have been doing for a long, long time, looking out for each other. And we look at America's history, when we're together, we're resilient. When we're resilient, we succeed and, normally, once we have gone through a crisis, become a better and stronger country. That's what we could do here. But it's about self-sacrifice.

MARTIN: Governor Ridge, the former governor of Pennsylvania, the first secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Governor, Mr. Secretary, thank you so much for speaking with us today.

(CROSSTALK)

RIDGE: And thank you for the opportunity to share these thoughts with you.

Tom Ridge: Selfish protests against stay-at-home orders dishonor America's veterans

Apparently these protesters with their weapons and false bravado think they are smarter than the medical experts.

Tom Ridge
Opinion contributor
Correction & clarification: A prior version of this column misstated the battle for which the late Army Command Sgt. Maj. Bennie Adkins was awarded the Medal of Honor. It was at Camp A Shau.
Bennie Adkins died the other day. The retired Army command sergeant major was 86 and had fought a 23-day battle against coronavirus. A little more than 50 years ago, halfway around the world, Bennie’s heroic actions at the battle of Camp A Shau in Vietnam resulted in his being awarded the Medal of Honor. 
I’ve been thinking quite a bit lately about my fellow veterans. Honorable men like Bennie Adkins. And John McCain. We carried the weapons of war in defense of our nation and our liberties.
In recent days, we have seen images of Americans carrying weapons as part of their protests to immediately reopen society. What are they planning to do, shoot the virus with their AR-15s?
These self-absorbed and selfish Americans complain they are irritated, anxious, bored, upset — unhappy that their lives have been affected by this temporary restraint on their freedoms. Some have even gotten into confrontations with nurses and other front-line health care workers who believe now is not the time to resume normality. 
Every day, there are heartbreaking new reports of nurses and doctors sick or dying because of their service to our country. They find themselves at the tip of the spear as we combat this pandemic. That they have to take precious time from getting desperately needed rest or being with their families to counter these protesters makes my blood boil.
Of course, our First Amendment gives them the right to protest. Our veterans helped ensure it. But let’s make one thing clear: It is impossible to characterize the actions of those who are protesting orders to stay at home as courageous or heroic.

Health care workers on front lines

In this war against the indiscriminate and lethal enemy, nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers and countless other health care workers are serving on the front lines. While wearing a different uniform, they are surely putting their lives at risk just as I did as a young Army staff sergeant 50 years ago.
As a veteran, I look at these protests with a different perspective and believe many veterans would agree. Some may not. That’s OK. This is America. 
A protest on April 23, 2020, against the stay-at-home order in Topeka, Kansas.
Apparently these protesters with their weapons and false bravado — many of whom risk spreading the virus further by refusing to wear masks and standing apart from one another — are smarter than the medical experts. They have decided to ignore the public discussions about incrementally turning our economy back on because it doesn’t fit their personal timetables.
Let's consider that while out of work, and I don’t for a minute minimize the real financial pain this is causing, they are generally confined to their homes, with refrigerators, televisions, the internet and the ability to take a walk, go to the store or just talk to a neighbor.  
Let’s also focus for a moment on the millions of Americans who have worn the uniform of this great country, put themselves in harm's way in ways most could not comprehend, and protected the right of these protesters to complain.
And let’s remember those whose service resulted in capture, among them my friend John McCain, who spent 5 1/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton.
That’s 66 months. Our social distancing has not yet reached eight weeks.
Those prisoners of war were not able to take a walk or drive to the grocery store for supplies. Now there may be a few Americans who don’t think our POWs were heroes, but most Americans have a deep appreciation of their service and sacrifice.

Nation needs us to sacrifice

The point is this. Your country has asked you to forgo your normal personal and professional routine for a couple of months in the war against COVID-19. No question, it is difficult and sometimes feels unbearable as economic and emotional stress mount each day. But the pandemic in less than three months has taken the lives of more Americans than the total number of U.S. soldiers killed in the Vietnam War.
The entire country is under siege, but you are not in the trenches of France, not gaining ground inch by inch in the Pacific, not slogging through the paddies and jungles in Vietnam, and not taking on global terrorists in desert warfare. And you are NOT prisoners of war. You are at home.
We are citizens of the greatest country on planet Earth. As citizens, we are asked to wear temporarily a unique uniform of service decorated with ribbons for patience, understanding and support of the troops on the front lines. 
I don’t think that is too much to ask, especially if we check the history books and remind ourselves that we are a resilient country, and that we can prevail in this battle if we work together.
Politics be damned. No time for it now. We can sort it out later. Same team. Same fight. Let’s get on with it.
Tom Ridge was the 43rd governor of Pennsylvania and first U.S. secretary of Homeland Security. He served as an infantry staff sergeant in Vietnam, earning the Bronze Star for Valor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment