NORTON META TAG

06 May 2013

THE PARTING GLASS (VIDEO)

I love this song, and can picture that closing scene from Waking Ned Devine (by Liam O'Maonlai) whenever I hear it, but this is a beautiful rendition of The Parting Glass. Enjoy, and share.....

http://youtu.be/eisW0skJ9fU

Published on Apr 26, 2013
Sheet music available fromhttp://www.seoltamusic.com/details.ph...
The Parting Glass
Irish Traditional Arr. Desmond Earley
Mark Waters (solo vocal)
Desmond Earley (director)
UCD Choral Scholars 2012-2013
Sound Recording and Production: Kevin Whyms
Direction: Matthew Leigh
Production: Nodlag Houlihan
Recorded and videoed on Sunday 7th April 2013 in Memorial Hall, University College Dublin, Ireland.
This video and the arrangement ⓒ & ⓟ Desmond Earley 2013
LYRICS
Of all the money that e'er I had 
I've spent it in good company 
And all the harm that e'er I've done 
Alas it was to none but me 
And all I've done for want of wit 
To memory now I can't recall 
So fill to me the parting glass 
Good night and joy be with you all 

Of all the comrades that e'er I had 
They are sorry for my going away 
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had 
They would wish me one more day to stay 
But since it falls unto my lord 
That I should rise and you should not 
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call 
Good night and joy be with you all 

A man may drink and not be drunk 
A man may fight and not be slain 
A man may court a pretty girl 
And perhaps be welcomed back again 
But since it has so ordered been 
By a time to rise and a time to fall 
Come fill to me the parting glass 
Goodnight and joy be with you all 
Goodnight and joy be with you all
"The Parting Glass" is a Scottish and Irish traditional song, often sung at the end of a gathering of friends. It was allegedly the most popular song sung in Scotland before Robert Burns wrote "Auld Lang Syne".[1]
The celebrated Irish folk song collector Colm O Lochlainn pointed out that "The Parting Glass" shares its melody with "Sweet Cootehill Town".[2] This is another traditional farewell song, this time involving a man leaving Ireland to go to America.

The song is doubtless older than its 1770 appearance in broadside, as it was recorded in the Skene Manuscript, a collection of Scottish airs written at various dates between 1615 and 1635.
[3] It was known at least as early as 1605, when a portion of the first stanza was written in a farewell letter, as a poem now known as "Armstrong's Goodnight", by one of the Border Reivers executed that year for the murder in 1600 of Sir John Carmichael, Warden of the Scottish West March.[4]The song was printed as a broadside in the 1770s, and first appeared in book form in "Scots Songs" by Herd.[1] An early version of the song is sometimes attributed to Sir Alex Boswell.
In 1998, the traditional words were set to a new, original melody by Irish composer Shaun Davey, with a revised title; "Fill to Me the Parting Glass". In 2002, he orchestrated this version for orchestra, choir, pipes, fiddle, and percussion to commemorate the opening of the Helix concert hall, Dublin, Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment