NORTON META TAG

14 September 2012

What About Hungry and Poor People? Barack Obama's and Mitt Romney's Views 12SEP12

PRESIDENT Obama and mitt romney have responded to our calls for them to address the issue of American poverty in their presidential election campaigns. Below are their video responses and the transcripts of their statements. We need to keep up the pressure, so after listening to each candidate check out my earlier post THE LINE (THIS IS WHAT POVERTY LOOKS LIKE IN AMERICA) & HAVING OUR SAY (AMERICAN POVERTY AND THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES) 8&7SEP12 http://bucknacktssordidtawdryblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-line-this-is-what-poverty-looks.html
and tweet both candidates and the presidential and vp debate moderators to make sure American poverty is an issue they must address on the campaign trail, during the debates and in their policy platforms. From Sojourners and The Circle of Protection....
Today Sojourners released 2 amazing videos, and we wanted you to be the first to see them.
As part of our ongoing work against poverty, Sojourners and our coalition partners with the Circle of Protection asked the presidential candidates what they were going to do about poverty – the most important issue of our time.
The presidential candidates just responded to us. We still have a long road ahead of us this election season to make poverty a top issue, but for today, let’s celebrate this huge moment together.

FROM THE CIRCLE OF PROTECTION 

What About Hungry and Poor People?
Barack Obama's and Mitt Romney's Views

Why We Sought Their Views
On July 6, 2012, Circle of Protection leaders invited the presidential candidates — President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney — to submit short video statements.
"We believe that this presidential campaign should include a clear focus on what each candidate proposes to do to provide help and opportunity for hungry and poor people in the United States and around the world," they wrote.
The leaders emphasized that God holds nations accountable for how those Jesus called "the least of these" (Matthew 25:45) are treated.
The Circle of Protection is composed of more than 65 heads of denominations, relief and development agencies, and other Christian organizations representing a wide array of churches in the U.S.A.
The Circle of Protection does not support, oppose or in any way endorse either of these presidential candidates.
Learn more about the Circle of Protection »

Watch the videos below:


President Barack Obama:
Last year, I had the privilege of meeting with the Circle of Protection at the White House. There I
reflected on my own Christian faith and how it’s shaped my walk in life, how I believe it’s made me a
better husband, a better father, and I hope, a better president. My faith teaches me that poverty is a
moral issue. The Bible calls on us to be our brother’s keeper and our sister’s keeper, and I believe that as
a public servant, I must do my part to answer that call. When I hear the story of a single mom struggling
to put food on the table, or a child born into poverty, or a dad who’s gone months without a paycheck, I
cannot sit idly by, not as a person and certainly not as a president.
That’s why I’ve fought to keep this a country where everyone who works hard has a basic sense of
dignity and a chance to get ahead. That means things like good jobs and good wages, healthcare that’s
there for you when you get sick, a secure retirement even if you’re not rich, a chance to buy a home to
call your own, and an education that gives our young people every chance in life. I believe that even as
we work hard to get ahead, we also have the obligation to reach back and help others get ahead, too.
That’s why my Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships has expanded its work with groups
around the country to help those in need. And it’s why last year, in the midst a heated budget debate in
Washington, I promised to protect vital assistance for the least of these. I’ve kept that promise. We can
pay down our debt in a balanced and responsible way, but we cannot balance the budget on the backs
of the most vulnerable. And certainly can’t ask the poor, the sick, or those with disabilities to sacrifice
even more, or ask the middle-class to pay more, just so we can offer massive new tax cuts to those
who’ve been blessed with the most. It’s not just bad economics, it’s morally wrong. It’s not in line with
our values, and it’s not who we are as a people.
I know you share my belief that government can’t solve every problem and it shouldn’t try. I learned
from my mother that no education policy can take the place of a parent’s love and attention. As a young
man I worked with a group of Catholic churches who taught me that no government program can take
the place of a caring neighbor. Not every tax dollar is spent wisely. Not everyone can be helped who
refuses to help themselves. But that’s not an excuse to tell our fellow Americans that they’re on their
own. We are all in this together as one people, one American family, one nation under God. That’s how we’ll create a true circle of protection. And if we each do our part, we can build an economy that works for all of us, and leaves something better for our children.
There have been many times over the past for four years when I have fallen on my knees asking God for guidance, not just in my personal life and my Christian walk, but in the life of this nation. I want you to know I have been so grateful for your prayers. And I pray His richest blessings on each of you. Thank
you. God bless you and may God bless the United States of America.
Governor Mitt Romney:
Hello, I’m Mitt Romney. And I appreciate the opportunity to share my plan to protect the poor and
vulnerable among us. And I want to start by thanking all who’ve already answered the call to care for
those in need. Both here at home and around the world, good people of faith have dedicated
themselves to improving the lives of the less fortunate, providing aid and comfort in places that were
once without hope. These kind acts reveal the good heart of America. Coming to the aid of those in need
is a critical mission. And it’s more important now than at any other time in recent memory.
As I speak with you today, there are 23 million Americans struggling to find work. A record 46.7 million
people are on food stamps. Nearly one in every six people in America is in poverty. When our economy
is weak, lives are shattered, hearts ache, parents wonder how they’ll make ends meet, and how they’ll
provide better lives for their children.
I’m running for president because I believe we can and must do better. If we’re going to help lift our
brothers and sisters out of poverty we must restore our economy and reduce the debt. When our
economy is healthy and growing, we have the resources to take care of those who still find themselves
in need. That’s why we must deliver the recovery we have all been waiting for, and the jobs too many
Americans are still looking for.
My vision for recovery starts with jobs, a lot of jobs, and I have a five-part economic plan that will help
create 12 million new jobs by the end of my first term in office. More jobs will mean more opportunities.
It’ll mean good wages that pay the bills and put food on the table. It will mean fewer people on the
welfare rolls and more people on the payroll. A strong economy will reduce our budget deficits, and it
will reduce poverty as well. But at this point, budget cuts are also going to be necessary and I intend to
make them. Here you have my word: I’ll proceed carefully. I understand this is a delicate task. Our
government rightfully provides a safety net for the hungry and the homeless, the sick and the elderly,
and we have a responsibility to keep it intact for future generations. I’ve laid out a sensible plan to save
and strengthen our nations’ entitlement programs, which now account for more than half of federal
spending. Here again, I’m committed to protecting those in or near poverty. For example, I support
means testing, where more money goes to those in need, and a little less goes to those who are able to support themselves. And I recognize that the assistance provided by your organizations can mean the difference between life and death for someone who’s sick or starving. That’s why my administration will stand with faith-based organizations, instead of standing in their way. If I’m elected president, I will seek the counsel of faith-based community leaders on matters large and small. And I’ll support your work.
Together we’ll ensure that those who need our help remain within the circle of protection.
http://www.circleofprotection.us/index.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment