NORTON META TAG

15 June 2010

WHERE DOES THIS RACIST IGNORANCE COME FROM????

I went home (home will always be Scandia, PA) my last days off, had a really good time, was able to unwind....catch my breath and to spend some time with Mom & Dad.  Went out Thursday and Friday nights to watch the stars and planets...it is rural enough in that part of Pennsylvania so you can see the Milky Way. As I laid in the cool grass of their front yard lightning bugs rose around me and I listened to the coyotes in the distance and saw a few shooting stars. Bought a bunch of flowers and spent all day Friday planting them at my parent's house, and just had a good time being with them till I had to drive back to Virginia. As I was sitting at a traffic light in Phillipsburg, PA a Jeep Cherokee with about 4 guys, college age, pulled up behind me and were looking at my bumper stickers, a quarter being pro Obama from the 2008 election, others supporting some of his policies, and these guys felt it necessary to start screaming out their windows "niggers suck" and they did it until  the light changed and I went my way and they theirs. I was shocked, and then disgusted and then ashamed and then hurt. Shocked because they were secure enough to do this while sitting at a traffic light right in town, by the court house, at approximately 6PM. Disgusted because I just do not understand that level of ignorance, that kind of hate, that pathetic lack of intelligence that manifest itself in prejudice. Ashamed because I thought people, especially younger people, were loosing that racist, intolerant attitude that was prominent in rural PA. And I was hurt because I thought of my non-white friends, Noel, Gail, Cilla, Renee, Edmund,  Samnia, Jeff, Margret, Heather, Rob just to name a few, and how degrading it must have been to be called that when they were younger and it must be really hurtful and degrading now that they are adults. So I apologize to each and every one of them for the ignorance and hate and stupidity of these guys, and am glad we are friends, not because of who or what you are, but because of how you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment